Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 69

When I was walking the beach with my dog, my friend saw me from "Umigoya" bar and came to talk to me.
He's a member of the trail running club I used to run with. We ran our first trail race 2007 and that was 15 km. He continued to run intensively and gradually he became interested in Ultra marathon races.
He told me that he is going to run the Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc this summer.
It is an outrageously challenging race. Below is the paragraph from Wikipedia.

The Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc (also referred to as UTMB) is a mountain ultramarathon. It takes place once a year in the Alps, across FranceItaly and Switzerland. The distance is approximately 166 km, with a total elevation gain of around 9,400 m. The race is run in one leg. Some believe that it is the most difficult foot race in Europe.
While the best trailers complete the loop in slightly more than 20 hours, most runners take 30 to 45 hours to reach the finish line. There is no prize money awarded. 

My friend's challenge inspired me to work hard. I did today's workout in 55 minutes. Good work !
I'm going to attend 3 day workshop in Tokyo from tomorrow. I have to get up early. 
Good night !

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a crazy race! I have a friend who does ultramarathons too -- 100 miles or more, there's even a race in Death Valley, California, right through the desert! Intense! I'm also inspired to work hard, but not to that extent quite yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning to get inspired by other people is an important skill. When I'm feeling lazy I spend a few minutes on YouTube watching athletes kicking butt. Works everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naoko!!!! I missed you, too! :) I just had so much fun catching up on your blog. :) You're such a positive, uplifting spirit, and I feel like I know you even better after this past weeks posts. OMG, 20 more days? I can't believe it!

    PS You're friend is INSANE!! In the good kind of way. :) I will use the picture of him running that ultramarathon to inspire the workout I'm about to start in t-minus 10 minutes. 50 minutes? Really? Holy crap. Let's see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow ultra marathon, how is that possible to run that far! that would be tough. there must be some ultra fit people out there! man it must take a long time and alot of hard work to get to that point!

    ReplyDelete