Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 50 Attitude towards workout

I was nervous this morning.
Every Tuesday I go to Patrick's studio.
I was in NYC last Tuesday so it's been 2 weeks since last time I did workout with Patrick.
Jumping 3 minutes 5 sets was making me nervous.
Because I could jump for 3 minutes only 1 set. I had no confidence to do all 5 sets.

When I told Patrick that I can't jump for 3 min. x 5, he asked me what I mean by "I can't" and I answered that I go out of breath or I might faint. What he told me was "You are underestimating your ability".
Really?
Don't I know my ability?
I am the one who should know what I can do and cannot do.
I am the one who feels my heart rate is going over 180 or maybe 200 !!

However...

Patrick was right.

I jumped all 5 sets. I tripped only twice.
I learned the effective way to catch my breath and not to exaggerate my pain after each set.

Workout is making me strong and helping me lose fat.
But my attitude was something like I am suffering,  I can't do this any harder, do I have to do this much ?

With Patrick I finished jumping and workout in 1 hour.

I wasn't pushing myself enough.
I was making excuses to myself.

I am comfortable with food but I was not confident that I could keep up with the workout menu which is getting harder and harder.

Maybe it is not just workout, I may have this attitude not to push myself hard enough and avoid the pain.


It was a good workout.
I had my egg white and yogurt in my car then went home for shower & lunch.

7 comments:

  1. good job Naoko! thats awesome you completed the sets! i havnt been able to go the full 3 minutes yet, mayby i need to push harder too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that damn Patrick, right again! I'm so glad you've realized your potential, Naoko. I see this in my Mom all the time, the self-defeating attitude of I can't...yes, you CAN!

    Since I can't be in Japan right now (perhaps one day though)...I just picture Patrick with his arms crossed looking at me like I'm full of crap when I try to give up before failure. Somehow I always complete a couple extra reps when I do this....

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I know. TIME AND TIME AGAIN i get into these moments where i'm like " I CAN'T DO THIS" but every SINGLE TIME, i end up doing it. ( except v sets, tricep raises and shoulder raises, cant DO that SHITE).

    LOOK AT ALL WE HAVE DONE TO GET TO DAY 50 NAOKO!
    HAHA THERE IS NO GOING BACK NOW!we are on a ROLL!!!!!!!! AND YOU'RE LOOKING GREAT, SO KEEP IT UP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The human body can take 3 to 4 times the punishment you are giving it. Dig deep and accept that there will be pain. But it is the pain of refining your body and being your best.

    http://tinyurl.com/3ybrtnk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naoko - this might be the single most inspiring post I've read yet! Isn't it interesting to watch the effects of a made-up mind on the body, and then to blow that mind by letting the body do what it does, one jump at a time?? I will take this attitude with me to my jumprope in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Naoko!!! And, only tripping twice?! that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All right. I am right in there with you Naoko. I give up way too soon.

    I am going to try so so so much harder. I'm going out right now to jump.......rah rah rah rah rah!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete